The first step in prevention is getting your students and faculty vaccinated against the flu. In addition, practice these other prevention steps to help prevent the spread of illness in your school:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. If you don’t have a tissue, cough into your elbow.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands sanitizers are also effective.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs can spread that way.
- Stay home if you get sick. The CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school, and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.
- Use disinfectants on surfaces, as directed, to help prevent the spread of the influenza virus. Germs can spread when a person touches an infected surface and then touches their own eyes, mouth or nose.